Ruth Lester House

   THE EXCELSIOR HOUSE HOTEL
  
211 W. Austin   Jefferson, Texas 75657
 



   
Built about 1860 as a private residence; after several changes in ownership, it was purchased in 1869 for the Sisters of Charity for a convent, hospital and school called St. Mary's. In 1875, it became the property of the Hebrew Sinai Congregation who built the adjoining building, now called Jefferson Playhouse, as their synagogue. Although basically unchanged, this structure is now used each Pilgrimage to present a play "The Diamond Bessie Murder Trial".
The Ruth Lester Memorial is beautifully furnished with Victorian antiques. These buildings are shown in a combined tour by members of the Jessie Allen Wise Garden Club who own and have restored the properties. Special group tours are available.
The Playhouse and Memorial may be rented for parties, receptions, meetings, weddings, etc.
   
For information contact
The Excelsior House
Jefferson, Texas 75657
903-665-2513
1-800-490-7270
jgoulds@aol.com

   

HOME  -  HISTORIC ROOMS    WEST ROOMS  -  BALL ROOM  -  RUTH LESTER HOUSE  -  WEDDINGS  -  JEFFERSON EVENTS
MID WEEK GETAWAYS  -  JEFFERSON'S PILGRIMAGE  -  CONTACT US

© COPYRIGHT 1998-2014   THE EXCELSIOR HOUSE   ALL RIGHTS RESERVED